ODROID-HC2 : Home Cloud Two
ODROID-HC2 is a mini PC which can be an affordable solution for a network attached storage (NAS) server. This home cloud-server centralizes data and enables users to share and stream multimedia files to phones, tablets and other devices on a network. Ideal for a single user on many devices, sharing between family members, developers or a group. Tailor the ODROID-HC2 to your specific needs. Plenty of software is available with only simple configuration. Determine the storage capacity of your server with a higher HDD/SSD. Depending on your needs, the frame is made to be stackable.
The HC2 is based on the very powerful ODROID-XU4 platform and it can run Samba, FTP, NFS, SSH, NGINX, Apache, SQL, Docker, WordPress and other server software smoothly with full Linux distributions like Ubuntu, Debian, Arch and OMV. Available and ready-to-go OS distributions are on our WiKi. Any OS for XU4 is fully compatible with the HC2. https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/os_images/os_imagesInstalled with a high performance SATA port and a Gigabit Ethernet port, to build a faster network storage device. Engineered metal frame body is designed to store a 2.5 inch HDD/SSD or 3.5inch HDD with great heat dissipation.
* Samsung Exynos5422 Cortex-A15 2Ghz and Cortex-A7 Octa core CPUs
* 2Gbyte LPDDR3 RAM PoP stacked
* SATA-3 port for 3.5inch or 2.5inch HDD/SSD storage up to 27mm thickness
* Gigabit Ethernet port
* USB 2.0 Host
* UHS-1 capable micro-SD card slot for boot media
* Size : 197 x 115 x 42 mm approx.(Aluminium cooling frame size)
* Linux server OS images based on modern Kernel 4.14 LTS
* We guarantee the production of ODROID-HC2 to the middle of 2020, but expect to continue production long after.
Example of setup
The basic setup requires additional items as below.
- 1 x 8GB microSD card for OS installation
- 1 x 3.5inch HDD
- 1 x 12V/2A Power Supply
- 1 x Router
- 1 x Ethernet cable
- 1 x ODROID-HC2 Case
* The first time you power up the HC2 with a microSD (with an OS installed) you will see the red power light and then the blue LED light will come on but then will turn off as it automatically shuts off. After 15-20 seconds, it will reboot itself and you should see the blue blinking LED light, showing the OS is operating.
We recommend 12V/2A power adaptor. Inner diameter is 2.1mm, outer diameter is 5.5mm. Center is Positiver an Outer is Negative.
Normally ODROID-HC2 consumes less than 1Amp/12V in most cases.
The HC2/HC1/XU4 has an on-board Gigabit Ethernet controller. Our bi-directional streaming speed was measured at ~910 Mbps.
Thanks to the advanced technology of the RTL8153 controller, the HC2's Ethernet controller easily outperforms the connectivity solutions of prior generations.
3.5inch HDD mechanical compatibility issue.
There 3 screw holes for mounting 3.5" HDD on the HC2 metal frame.
But a few HGST/WD HDD models have different positions of mechanical mounting holes.
You can fasten only one screw.
We found two models have the issue so far.
- HGST 10TB Deskstar NAS HDN721010ALE604
- WD 8TB WD80EMAZ NAS
|CPU||Samsung Exynos5422 ARM® Cortex™-A15 Quad 2.0GHz/Cortex™-A7 Quad 1.4GHz|
|DRAM Memory||2Gbyte LPDDR3 RAM PoP (750Mhz, 12GB/s memory bandwidth, 2x32bit bus)|
|GPU||Mali™-T628 MP6 OpenGL ES 3.1 / 3.0 / 2.0 / 1.1 and OpenCL 1.2 Full profile|
|HDD / SSD SATA interface||JMicron JMS578 USB 3.0 to SATA Bridge with UAS capability to archive over ~300MB/sec transter speed
3.5inch or 2.5inch HDD/SSD can be installed. Some HGST/WD HDD mechanical holes are not compatible with HC2.
|Micro-SD Slot||UHS-1 compatible micro-SD slot up to 128GB/SDXC|
|USB2.0 Host||HighSpeed USB standard A type connector x 1 port|
|LEDs||Power, System-status, SATA-status|
|Gbit Ethernet LAN||10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet with RJ-45 Jack ( Auto-MDIX support)|
|Power Input||DC Barrel Jack Socket 5.5/21.mm for 11~13 Volt input (12V/2A Power supply is recommended)|
|System Software||Ubuntu 16.04 + OpenCL on Linux Kernel 4.14 LTS
Debian, DietPi, OMV and other Linux distributions are available too.
Full source code is accessible via our Github.
|Size||197 x 115 x 42 mm (weight: 361gram)|